Here are three of my favorite resources
that encourage me in living out my faith through creativity, help spark ideas, deepen understanding, and experience greater meaning in my life, faith and art. I’ve included some links at the bottom of the post.
For encouragement in living out my faith through creativity I turn to:
by Madeleine L’Engle
“Creativity opens us to revelation…” – Madeleine L’Engle
Of all the books I’ve read, especially when I find myself wondering why I do what I do, Madeleine L’Engle helps bring me back to my creative calling as an artist and follower of Jesus in Walking on Water. L’Engle encourages the reader to embrace the mysterious relationship between art and faith, encouraging me to listen to the silence and have the courage to create, because I must.
For deepening understanding of words and Scripture to encourage greater meaning in my life, faith, and art:
I do word studies, and study the Bible by digging into the meaning and the context of a text, imagining myself as a witness to the scene or receiving the message of the Word. Part of my process is responding visually through Art and Bible Journaling. As I draw, paint, collage, write, I meditate on the focused Scripture, the meaning of key words, and ask God to speak to me. As I listen, engaging the imagination, I reflect and respond visually through imagery and words combined.
I’ve shared in the past how I do word studies using online resources in the blog post: How I Explore my Word of the Year. It is a good way to deepen the meaning of a word or Scripture passage.
At the beginning of this year I received a copy of a Bible software for the purpose of review. Discoverer Accordance 12 Collection to some amazing Bible Software which put all the resources I use to study Scripture, plus more, at my fingertips.
After using Accordance Bible Software for only a short time, it has exceeded my expectations by providing easily accessible resources for word studies, along with user-friendly workspaces using parallel translations. All the resources I look for are on one screen and can be customized by a mere click of a few buttons. Here are some benefits I received within the first week of working with Accordance Bible Software.
- The installation process was easy and came with clear instructions.
- The software is user-friendly and intuitive
- The training videos are helpful. The computer is not my favorite way to study or my most intuitive. The introduction videos showed me how to navigate and do the basics. https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Training-Seminar-Videos
- The workspaces are customizable and easily adaptable. I found the Research workspace worked well for my word study, and was easy to modify to suit my needs.
- Because the information is downloaded onto the computer, it is accessible even when offline.
- It was easy to copy the information, print it out, and have it ready to use in my Bible study journaling process.
- Accordance Bible Software gives the ability to access and view all the components I use for a word or Scripture reference study all on one screen.
- The biggest benefit of Accordance for me is there are more resources at my fingertips than I would search for online. With a mere click of a few buttons I can access the many relevant resources such as many versions of the Bible, dictionaries, lexicons, commentaries, topical studies, and other inspiring resources such as collections of quotes, and even hymns that relate to the subject.
- There are even more resources that can be added as menu items to the collection of tools in the Accordance12 English Discoverer Collection. The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. I have a hard copy of the book (see Amazon link below) and it has been my most useful and valuable tool I have for looking up the significance and symbolism of Biblical imagery. I’ve added the digital version available to my Accordance collection which adds the information in a window where everything is right there on the screen.
- The customer service is exceptional, personal, and accessible. A real blessing!
published by Intervarsity Press
This book has been my most used book “go to” for meaning of imagery and symbolism in the Bible over the years. It explores images, themes, symbols, metaphors. I have found it interesting, informative and enjoyable. If you seek layers of meaning in Biblical imagery and symbols, I think you will enjoy it too!
I am an affiliate with Amazon, which means I receive a small percentage of commission per sale, when products are purchased by clicking on links on my website/blog to Amazon. There is no additional cost to you. I only recommend products and books I enjoy using and produce good results. For more information about what I use and what inspires, visit my Amazon store