Because it had the embossed window and decorations, I painted gold paint on it and then quickly rubbed it off with a cloth to make the embossing stand out and give an antique effect. It was further enhanced with some Golden Fluid Acrylic Sap Green and Paynes Gray. The hymnal was originally a navy color. The original title is under the Celtic knot. You can still see the title on the spine. I will cover that up in the same way I did the Gothic Window, a piece of painted paper with doodling, sealing with gloss medium and gluing on with “Yes” glue.
Even though the original book is old, the spine was still in pretty good shape. I carefully cut just inside the end pages with an Exacto knife so the hymn pages would come out easily together. I was careful not to cut into the spine itself. Then I reinforced the spine with tape. Then I cut a piece of museum board the length of the book and the width of what the spine should be (1 inch for this book). I used a small dab of “Yes” glue at the top and bottom between the spine and the museum board to hold the spine in place. Then I used fabric tape to cover the spine, extending over to the inside front and back covers. My tape has music on it. It took three lengths of tape to cover the spine. At this point I am totally experimenting. I’m thinking I will Cover the end pages later and maybe put a pocket on the inside of the back cover. We’ll see….