Obviously I planned the Keys to drawing Celtic Knots & Illumination course to be offered as we Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. What I didn’t expect is for it to coincide with the pandemic of the corona virus, limiting our in-person interactions and activities. An online course makes sense and can give some personal interaction around some common ground. If you’re like me, it helps the stress level to do something creative and rhythmic with my hands, and the spiritual encouragement helps keep my thinking positive and fosters emotional well-being.
As I look over the Scripture and quotes in the devotionals, I am reminded of God’s loving presence with us. It strikes me how relevant the themes and messages of Scripture are during these tumultuous times. I sense God’s great love, knowing He knew what I needed even before I did. This brings me comfort and courage.
Here are some of the devotional themes:
- The longing of the heart
- God’s loving presence
- Healthy thinking
- Gaining wisdom
- Engaging with the Living Word
- Experiencing peace – Shalom
- Trading fear for courage
- Discovering hidden treasure within
- Victory through Christ
The back story
It was last summer on a camping trip, praying and enjoying nature, asking God about what’s next. One of my favorite hymns kept playing in my mind. There is a version by Eden’s Bridge that I’ve listened to over and over for years and I listened to it as we were out in nature. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGSLUkTSbc
On our camping trip, I had brought along a new set of three dotted travelers journals inserts. As I picked one up, Scripture came to mind that went along with the phrases of the hymn. I could hardly write fast enough. In my mind’s eye, Celtic knots came into focus that represented the themes. The presence of God was so close and sweet. My heart’s desire was, and still is, to draw close to God’s heart, to see with His eyes, His perspective, not just my own – for God to be first – to be my Vision and Lord of my heart. For five days I wrote and drew designs. The idea of this online course began to take form.
Memories of singing hymns around the piano came flooding back, drowning out some painful childhood memories. I smiled as I remembered my mom at the piano; Grandpa playing the harmonica or organ, and my aunts singing in harmony, and my grandmother in the kitchen. I was both an observer and a participant. It fueled my love for hymns and fostered the belief that music is a language of the heart.
I prefer small group, in person courses, and wondered if some of the benefits and interactions online could be more relational. That is my hope for those who take this course, and is why the lessons are scheduled so we all receive the same information at the same time. Then we can interact within the virtual classroom As with all new things, there will likely be learning and adjustments along the way, but the intent is for the course to inspire both creativity, teach art skills, and enhance our relationships with God.
If this resonates with you and you would like to join me in this creative spiritual journey, find out more at: https://valeriesjodin-courses.teachable.com/p/draw-celtic-knots-be-thou-my-vision
What you receive in the course
Easy ways to draw Celtic knots, designs & lettering
on a spiritual journey through the Celtic Christian hymn
‘Be Thou My Vision’
$220 value ~ now $120 for limited time!
- Welcome & supply video to help you get started, including drawing the basic knot and beginning Celtic lettering videos
- 20 video lessons with multiple videos showing start-to-finish how to create 20 illuminated pages for each phrase of the hymn ‘Be Thou my Vision’ in dry media (pencil, pens, colored pencils, with suggested but optional Gelatos®)
- 20 downloadable PDF page layouts of the illuminated pages. Some contain additional PDFs with visual/written instructions. (Please see FAQs below for copyright use)
- 20 video devotionals, around 10 minutes each, to go along with the phrase of the week.
- 20 downloadable devotional PDFs with Scripture, “Heart-full” questions and spiritual exercises to inspire you to grow deeper in your walk with God
- Opportunities for us to interact with one another, both written and through imagery in the comments section of each lesson
- Helpful references, resources, and recommended reading lists & links
- + Bonus lesson on how to make a travelers journal style cover for your illuminated hymn
- On the weeks between the lesson uploads you will receive an encouragement email with a link to an inspirational song, a Scripture and/or quote or prayer
How the course works and timeline
The course starts now with the Welcome and information available at time of purchase. It is a journey I am excited to walk together. The lessons are planned for 1 per week, but you will receive two lessons at a time in order to give you the greatest flexibility of when you do the lessons. This is a 20 week course, and after that you will have lifetime access to the entire course. The first two lessons will be published on Friday, March 27, 2020. After that two lessons will be published every other Friday and you will receive a reminder email with a link to our class. Course enrollment ends March 22, 2017.
Early bird special through March 17, 2020
To find out about other of my e-courses on the new streamlined platform visit:
Living Your Word 2020 Opportunity
Bernice Hopper, and Mary Brack, and I share insights through blog posts for creatively living a word of the year. In our Facebook group, we encourage one another by posting questions and prompts to inspire living out a word focus, keeping a journal etc. It is a safe place to ask for prayer and support. If you would like to connect with others in creative ways about living your word, you can ask to join our Living Your Word of the Year 2020 by clicking on the link below.
URL for Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livingyourwordoftheyear/
URLs for Instagram: #livingyourword2020
CHECK OUT THE BLOGS:
Valerie: https://valeriesjodin.com/blog/ (this one :-))