Choosing a Word of the Year to Live by
Choosing and living out a Word of the year has been one of my most rewarding personal practices. It gives me a focus and mindset to learn about and grow in. When I combine the word with a journal for the year it gives me a place to focus, explore ideas, pour out my heart, keep a record of the highlights and low points of the year, and helps me know how I am growing.
How I Choose My Word of the Year Focus
The first thing I do is: Look over the past year. For me this means reviewing my everyday calendar journal. I pay attention to repeated themes, words, desires, struggles, and write them down.
Questions to consider about this past year
- What are some highlights of this year?
- What are some low point of the year?
- What is something I learned this year?
- What do I want to continue or grow in?
- What do I need to let go of or change?
Questions to consider for the upcoming year
- What do I want/desire?
- How would I like to have grown by the end of next year?
- What characteristic would enhance my life and bring me closer to my best self?
- What do I want to focus on this coming year?
- Is there any theme or word that comes to mind right now?
It is important for me to:
- Take some quiet, uninterrupted time to ask God to speak to you about a word for the coming year.
- Write down any thoughts and feelings that come. Don’t hold back, second guess yourself or edit.
- Thank God that He wants to speak to you and trust Him to lead.
- Read over what I wrote. What words/themes come to mind?
Finding the Word
- Is there a word or two that seem highlighted to you right now?
- Try each one on. In other words, imagine what it could be like if you had that word for a theme next year? If the word was lived out this year, how could it help you be the best version of yourself?
- What are you afraid of? What is a word that describes the opposite of that fear?
- Which word/s feel right for the following year?
If none resonate, don’t feel bad, instead adopt the attitude of going on a treasure hunt that can be revealed at any time. Give it time. It will come.
I’d love to hear how your Word of the Year is coming. You can let me know and comment in the comments section by scrolling down to the bottom of this post.
Blessings and Cheers to You
as You Go on the Word of the Year Adventure!
Living Your Word 2020 Opportunity!
Bernice Hopper, and Mary Brack, and I share insights through blog posts for creatively living a word of the year. In our Facebook group, we encourage one another by posting questions and prompts to inspire living out a word focus, keeping a journal etc. It is a safe place to ask for prayer and support on another. If you would like to connect with others in creative way about living your word, you can ask to join our Living Your Word of the Year 2020 by clicking on the link below.
URL for Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203309083575277/
URLs for Instagram: #livingyourword2019
CHECK OUT THE BLOGS:
Valerie: https://valeriesjodin.com/blog/ (this one :-))